Wednesday, November 02, 2005

you must remember this

Louis Renault- esl bill frist

Casablanca, 1942:

Rick: How can you close me up? On what grounds?
Captain Renault: I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!
[a croupier hands Renault a pile of money]
Croupier: Your winnings, sir.
Captain Renault: [sotto voce] Oh, thank you very much.
[aloud]
Captain Renault: Everybody out at once!

Washington, 2005:

Bill Frist, M.D.: "About 10 minutes ago or so, the United States Senate has been hijacked by the Democratic leadership! Never have I been slapped in the face with such an affront to the leadership of this grand institution. They have no conviction. They have no principles. They have no ideas. This is a pure stunt."

"...This is an affront to me personally. It's an affront to our leadership. It's an affront to the United States of America!... for the next year and a half, I can't trust Senator Reid."


the second purdy speech is excerpted thanks to Rex Reed Dana Milbank of the Washington Post,

in "democratic maneuver sends Frist, GOP into apoplexy".

Ok, to be fair, Milbank does wink a bit. But those, foolish realpolitik-challenged persons will think he's making fun of Frist's powerlessness in the face of a show of spine. Man I need to start selling real estate.


me tired. me not blog for 5 days. me got housecleaning to do. me may come back with funky new style. me may learn grammar, come back mighty classy. me not decide just yet. me get back to you on that. in meantime, U read incomprable archives, especially since 1 Aug 2005.


[revised slightly, from the 1 November 2005 original, in hopes of a PG-13 rating.]