Thursday, September 29, 2005

some versen photos

Mexico 1990

and,

graceland tourist shop

Like Hoyt Axton I've never been to Spain, but I've been to Oklahoma. Tennessee too. In October of 2000 I drove up to visit my paternal grandmother in Connecticut, and on the way back I stopped in Memphis. When I left my grandmother's house 2 days earlier I think we both knew it would probably be the last we'd see each other. She died in March of 2004, and my mother died the next month. I'm glad I went to see her, and paradoxical as it may sound, the fact that I drove there and back makes it a more vivd and valued memory, as there was a sense of a fondly remembered adventure associated with seeing her for the last time.

When I was in Memphis I stopped at Graceland, although I didn't actually go in, as I was beginning to run out of money and didn't think the student ticket would've been a wise purchase.

It's about 7 hours from Memphis to Denton. I wanted to go see the National Civil Rights Museum too but it was clear on the other side of town and I was running out of time and needed to be at work the next day. I still want to make a road trip to Memphis someday, to see the Museum and actually see the inside of Graceland this time.