Tuesday, September 27, 2005

New Road, 1939



from the University of Virginia.

"In making these paintings, as you may have guessed, I had in mind something which I hope to convey to a fairly wide audience in America -- the picture of a country rich in the arts of peace; a homely lovable nation, infinitely worth any sacrifice necessary to its preservation."

- Grant Wood , in a statement he offered with his final painting.


*****

and no, in case you are wondering, I'm not communicating, obliquely or otherwise, that IraqDoc 2007 is off, or that my sense of the direction it will take has changed.* I will launch it 10 October 2005. Initially I was planning to launch it on September 1st, but the horror of Katrina(and her apparently magnified horror in confluence with BushCo), in addition to sundry personal matters that came up made me decide to delay it. Norv, Harry, I'll wrestle with good and evil on Wednesday. I promise.


*Although to be honest, a lot of that direction will inevitably make itself known to me when I get there. As I said on August 1st, I have no intention of creating a polemic. Who knows, maybe to do my job right I'll have to tick off the right and the left.