A voyage to the moon
from a voyage to the moon,1902, by Georges Méliès
1."What I'm hearing, which is sort of scary, is they all want to stay in Texas. Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality... And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this is working very well for them."
--the 1st Mother, from a radio interview with the American Public Media program "Marketplace", 5 Sep 2005.
1b. People have concentrated on the 2nd part of this quote. Part 1 is notable too. Why is their wanting to stay in Texas scary to Bar?
2. Katrina may cost 150 billion or more, and is presently costing about 2 billion bucks a day.
3. the iraq war is costing...oh, I don't know. A bucket of money. Other things, too-- this and that*.
[*warning: some very graphic images]
4. NASA want to go back to the moon. And just in time,too. What if the Europeans built their own rocket, and maybe took a picture of a couple of French astronauts making fun of the by now no doubt weather beaten flag Neil Armstrong left? A hundred billion bucks will prevent that, and they get to show the public something shiny to distract them. Whew.
5. Bush say no new taxes. It'll "cost whatever it costs." And you thought he didn't mean it when he said he'll take responsibility.
6. And...I almos' plumb forgot! Some of our terabytes are missing! **
7. At least our overlords will be nice to us when the balance is due. I mean, they have to, right?
some additional links:
1. "body count redux"
2. from the reverend Mykeru: "Iraq body count: a visual aid"
3. Tommy Franks: "we don't do body counts"
3b. (re:Tommy Franks, 2003:"We don't do body counts". I've speculated before on this matter, here:
HZ 24 Feb 2005: "the Iraqi Museum, and the casualty count")
**my understanding is that 1 terabye of data is the approximate equivelant of ten 100GB hardrives so full of data they won't let you add so much as one download of a Jesus Jones mp3.