Thursday, June 01, 2006

The birth of Scotch; Kentucky, Pete Barbutti...and the metric system.



June 1st,1495 - Friar John Cor records the first known batch of scotch whisky.

June 1st,1792 - Kentucky becomes the 15th state of the United States. (These 2 factoids kinda go together, don’t they? )

years ago when I was a kid, Pete Barbutti[warning:auto sound file] used to appear on Carson from time to time and tell interesting if somewhat meandering stories. I’m not exactly sure who he was(is), but I gather he was one of Johnny’s friends. I remember he was on once and Carson asked him:

“did you have a nice fourth?” [i.e., 4th of July]
and Pete Barbutti replied, “I had a nice fifth too.”



You can’t tell that joke anymore, now that the half-litre bottle has replaced the fifth. That’s the only bad thing about converting to the metric system, I mean, if not being able to tell anyone that joke bothers you. I guess you can try and tell it, and perhaps bewilder some younger person who’s cooler than you. Although I’m guessing some people will be also bothered by being smoked by a car with more kilowatts than they have, and nary an old fashioned horsepower to speak of, but I’m guessing they’ll get over it. Yes, we need to convert to the metric system, because buying expensive gasoline in nice small litres and slowing down to 100 kph may even confuse and and therebye mollify some people. I mean, if Xymphora is right about the average American being dumber than a can of paint. Is that harsh? I don't know. But it is a reflection of my fondness for meandering narratives.