Friday, December 23, 2005

Friday middle eastern pop star blogging: Katia Harb


courtesy Oghnia.com**

Our never-absent friend, the Law of Unintended Consequences, being the fellow he is, leads me to notice something about the lovely Ms. Harb: while this was the first photo I found of her out there on th' net and I do think it's a nice picture, there are some others, presumably older, in which I noticed that her nose is more, er, thigeel. (So I guess this is an "after" photo.)

I did not intend posting pictures of middle eastern pop stars to be an advocacy of plastic surgery, but I suppose it's naive of me to expect otherwise. I haven't surveyed pictures of male middle eastern pop stars*, but I suspect, just as in the west, the men are under less pressure to lose those last 3 or 4 kilos or get a daintier nose. What do you think?

*I deliberately entitled this venture "Friday middle eastern pop star blogging", which is gender-neutral after all, partly wondering if I'd get at least one female reader objecting that I hadn't ever posted a picture of a male middle eastern pop star, but so far it hasn't happened. Maybe women are afraid of leaving comments, or afraid that their friends will think they have a thing for middle eastern guys. Not that there would be anything wrong with that, right?

**When I went to Oghnia.com I saw a banner ad for the US Army, suggesting(in English) that if you knew Arabic they might have a job for you. I wonder how many click-throughs they get.
(Myself, I didn't click.)