Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Joe Rivas



"I've been meaning to write about Joe for some time, and since he just emailed me with some recent pictures, I guess there's no time like the present. From Joe's main site:


"Climbing the Wall to find Employment or to go to School

My name is Joe A. Rivas. I am an alumnus from the University of North Texas with a Master’s Degree in Rehabilitation Counseling and a certified Rehabilitation Counselor. I also have a neurological condition known as cerebral palsy. The condition has limited my job opportunities and financial resources.

I, Joe Rivas, will attempt to climb the wall at the Recreational Sports Center at the University of North Texas on Tuesday, September 6, 2005 at 3:00pm. I am currently training myself with a weight lifting that will give me strength to accomplish the activity. This goal (challenge) will demonstrate my ability to engage in normal every day activities. This activity will serve as a reminder that persons with severe disability are able to function in a community with proper supports. My personal goal will be to dismiss common perceptions about my ability to engage in employment, social, and recreational activities. My second goal is to raise funds for the following employment opportunity.

I have secured a teaching job with the Dallas Count Community College District (DCCCD) if I can complete the additional 18 hours of Psychology graduate courses required to teach online classes for DCCCD. I only lack 12 hours (4 classes) to meet the teaching requirements. These employment opportunities will increase my financial resources, so that I do not have to rely on other sources to meet my personal needs. My current project is to raise $586.00 to help me pay for last Fall’s semester and about $2.500.00 for my last spring semester at the University of North Texas"

Joe has made some headway regarding his UNT tuition, but he hasn't paid it off yet. He also has a blog, here. Occasionally he writes posts from his dog Aspen's point of view, such as "barking and snapping for a living" and "and "the sweet taste of toilet water."
You can contact him through the info at the main site and the blog homepage.