Friday, March 31, 2006

here's some more art, darn it





the 1st pic above is in the public domain, but is via artinfo.com, the 2nd is from Getty images


Giudecca, La Donna della Salute and San Giorgio
oil-painting fella J. M. W. Turner didn't exactly believe in catchy titles, but that's just the kinda guy he was. This post is yet another in my never-ending quest to edify my readers, and it's even better for you than that fancy mustard, so I hope both of you appreciate it...

Last exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1975
, the oil has not been seen in Britain for 30 years, spending most of the intervening period hidden from public view in the collection of an order of Capuchin friars in New York. Would I make that up? Well, I would, but I didn't. I'm guessing the friars have rent control, and don't turn the heat up too high in the winter, being monkish, er friarish. It's going on sale next week, April 6th, so if you haven't already been working a lot of overtime you probably don't have much of a chance of scoring the Guidecca for yourself, as it's expected to fetch around 20 million, which would be a record for a British painting.


and, here are two photos from K Goh, taken in Suzhou, China last fall.