Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Arvin: re Katrina

I'm quoting from an email that Arvin sent me cause it's been several days and he hasn't posted it(that, and he said I could):

"When people get mad enough to start fucking shit up, that's when the country will begin to awaken, if it is to awaken at all, and not one moment before. Until then, we're all just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. I have finally reached the point at which my contempt for the Democratic Party is as boundless as the GOP. It's the Elites vs. Everyone Else (Bill Clinton's backflips as an apologist for Bush is just too much to take), and that isn't going to be changing anytime soon no matter who is in - or out of - elected office...

The spectacle of post-Katrina death and mayhem is overwhelming, a glimpse of America's future. There will be other disasters, natural and otherwise, and perhaps we will finally learn what we have created - and what we value above all else: A society in which every citizen is quite literally on his or her own. Apparently, we like it this way."

(I suddenly imagine an AH graphic saying save a "libertarian, shoot a looter", perhaps with starving black guy crossed out and "looter" scrawled over it. Sorry, but my own photoshopping skills still aren't that well developed.-JV)

I wrote back to Arvin about a comment I posted at Seeing the Forest a while back that I felt that if we didn't have our 2nd FDR some time in the next 15 years or so, we'd probably have our 1st Robespierre in 25 or 30. Arvin responded that my timeframe was too optimistic.

(don't get me wrong: neither of us want to see what's behind door no. 2)

comments closed Jan 2006 JV