Wednesday, January 14, 2004

I was leaning towards Gephardt, but now I just don't know. TodayGephardt said Dean can't be trusted.

Jan. 14, 2004 | NEVADA, Iowa (AP) -- Rep. Dick Gephardt on Wednesday called chief rival Howard Dean a "fair-weather friend of the American worker" whose promises can't be trusted and motives must be questioned.

"To me, there is no room for the cynical politics of manufactured anger and false conviction. I believe in standing for something," the Missouri lawmaker said a speech that heightened his criticism of the Democratic presidential front-runner


Gephardt is right of course, to criticize Dean for flip-flopping on NAFTA, and I don't see an exact quote in the AP story saying Dean "can't be trusted" or "is untrustworthy". Maybe his actual words were more moderate, and it's the press embellishing-- but I'm very concerned about the democrats tearing themselves apart at this point, striking all sorts of sour notes to be regurgitated by the 200 million dollar Bush Rove Smear Machine in the fall, probably against Dean. We don't need that.