Saturday, April 12, 2003

International A.N.S.W.E.R. is organizing protests in San Francisco and DC and elsewhere today-- from their site:

"The Bush administration is moving rapidly to impose a colonial-style occupation government on Iraq. This is not liberation. It is the use of overwhelming firepower to seize the land and resources of Iraq, and eliminate Iraq's sovereignty, while violating the most basic principles of self-determination. This is a war for Empire. The Bush administration, having carried out a war of conquest in Afghanistan and now in Iraq, will now step up its plans for future wars of aggression in the Middle East and elsewhere..."

I hate to admit I disagree. Although I agreed with the antiwar protest in February, we need to stay and help rebuild, something that I strongly suspect the Bush administration wants to figure out how to get credit for with only token effort. Dubya and his minions are adept at twisting meanings, and, I suspect, would be happy to leave Iraq in her wrecked, chaotic state saying, "see, we've accomodated the peaceniks. We left as soon as we could." I'd love to see International ANSWERists marching against the dividend tax cut and for aid to Iraq in its stead, but I simply don't see it happening. The current protest is akin to a Nader vote in Florida in 2000.